11/05/2010

The Rain

It's raining today. Heavy and hard. Chasing people to hide away. The streets are empty. Quiet.
Apart from me.
I'm here in the rain, running as fast as I can. Away from me, away from this, away from sickness and sadness. Towards the sunshine on the other side of the hill. I can see it there, that faint spot on the horizon where the sun is trying to poke through the clouds and lighting the tiniest part which bends and mists and looks too unreal to be believable.
I run faster, harder, I run until it hurts and I can't run anymore. But I still can't reach the sun.
So I sit on the wet grass, and wrap my arms around my knees, rain pounding down on my neck. Home is on my left side, the sea and the world on my right. I want to jump in the water and swim, and swim, and swim, and keep swimming until I reach the sun on the other side.
Mat Kearney sings quietly in my ear;

'Like a breath of fresh air and the wind at my back
Toe to heel with strong strides taking miles off the map
In this journey called life where I've walked so far
Under the heat of your sun and the shine of your stars'

But I've not walked that far. Not far enough yet. I just need more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment